Thursday, April 26, 2007

Urban Outfitters

My adoption blogging buddies Jeff and Bethany brought an issue to my attention today. It seems that Urban Outfitters has a shirt for sale now that says Adoption is the new Black. I'm so not impressed by this. In fact I'm pretty outraged. Adoption is not a decision I made to be cool, participate in a fad, or follow a celebrity. It is a decision I made to build my family. As an adopted person myself I can tell you that adoption is not something I joke about. It's serious to me. I gained amazing parents through adoption and my birth mother put much thought and planning into choosing adoption for me. It's not something that just happens with little thought, emotion, or planning. It's a life changing, time consuming, and demanding process. Adoption provides a child with a loving family! It's not something to be mocked on a teeshirt. Shame on you Urban Outfitters!

I would urge you to visit Urban Outfitters here if you disagree with the shirt and voice your concerns to them. Maybe if enough of us complain they will take the shirt out of stores.

Jessie

2 comments:

Darby said...

i gave them a piece of my mind!!

Nichole Foster said...

I am so happy to see that it is no longer avaliable I would really LOVE it if they took the picture off the web though as well. I think by all of us in the adoption community jumping in on this one they realized they are taking a HUGE bite out of their profits. I still plan on never shopping there for letting my daughter shop there while I have control over that. So they have lost my business FOREVER, not that I ever shopped there anyway, but hey they don't need to know that.

Nichole