Saturday, January 13, 2007

I'm Turning Into Her

Seriously I think I'm really turning into my mom. Heather had to go back to school today. I was already a little upset about it. I wasn't quite ready to have my nest be empty. She is such a joy to have around. That girl fills a house up. She really is amazingly fun. So I was a little freaked by her leaving.

But right now we are having horrible weather! Sleet and ice and really bad roads. It's not a good idea to be driving right now. But she insists she has to go tonight. She has an RA training thing she has to be at tomorrow morning at 9:00 so she would have had to leave her at 7:00 to make it and the roads are supposed to be worse tomorrow. So she probably should have gone tonight but still I wasn't pleased. In fact I'm worried sick.

But we loaded everything up and I reviewed the rules. Wear the seatbelt, no loud music, no i-pod while driving, no talking on the cell phone, drive slow, pay attention, tap the breaks, and call me as soon as she arrives. She swore she would follow the rules and I sent her with candles and blankets in case she goes of the road and has to wait awhile for help. And I hugged her and kissed her and told her I loved her. Then I stood at the window and waved and bawled as she drove off. Damn kid! She has totally turned me into mom. I don't know how many times mom did that with both of us but I guess I learned to panic and worry and love a kid to death from her.

Jessie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are too funny!! i'd be worried too. she IS going to call when she is in the house all warm and safe? i'm sorry your nest is empty...at least you have the lena girl!! and you already loved that big kid to death! you most definately learned that from your very special mother.

Heather in Beautiful BC said...

Aaawwwwwww.... that's sweet. What a good Mommy you are :) It's an 'aha!' moment isn't it when we realize we are our mothers all over again???

Anonymous said...

That's just another tribute to your Mom. And no matter how old your children get, you always worry about them, especially on the road. Back in the "old days" when the kids were going back to college, we always had them call home "collect" for Otis (the deceased dog). We didn't accept the charges of course, but we knew the children were back to school safely!! Some things never change.