Friday, January 12, 2007

Relay For Life


Well last September I walked in the Relay For Life to benefit the American Cancer Society. We formed a team in honor of my mom. We called ourselves Dee's Diva's. My mom ended up dying 6 days before the Relay was to be held. We all still walked. it was hard to be there and it was emotional but we did it because it was the right thing to do. We weren't just walking for my mom we were walking for everyone with cancer. And it was worth it. We raised $2300 as a team and had a pretty good time.

Now this year we are already planning ahead. My sister is joining in on the relay and we are going to compete against one another a little bit. We are going to form two teams. Dee's Diva's 1 and Dee's Diva's 2, each of us will be team captains. But the goal is to see which team can raise more money! My personal goal is to raise $1000. As a team I'd like to raise $3500.

So I'm asking for your help! I have put a little PayPal donation button on the right hand side of my blog. If you feel like donating to a very good cause please do so. When you donate please let me know your blog url so I can give you a shout out and a whole lot of thanks!

Jessie

8 comments:

CyberCelt said...

What a heartbreaking story. I am sure your mother is very proud of you for continuing with the relay.

I attended an event for cancer survivors at the Fentress airport in Texas. About 200 survivors jumped out of an airplane and tried to form a giant circle and break the world record. They did not do it, but they were so happy to be alive to do it.

I will make a donation for your cause.

skeet said...

What a wonderfukl tribute to your mother! Wishing you much success and hoping that both teams exceed their goals!

Jennifer said...

Wow, it must've been so hard to continue on in the walk. I remember how hard it was to walk in the Relay for Life after my grandpa died, and the wound wasn't nearly as fresh.

Ann crum said...

My husband died of cancer Christmas Eve morning, 2005. I admire you for walking in memory of your mother, and all who have been stolen from us by this terrible disease.

Amy said...

I have so much respect for the walkers for the cures! Kudos to you.

Lisa said...

I walk for Walk America every year. It is great that you walk for a cause that you believe in.

Anonymous said...

What a sad yet inspiring story you shared. I'm sure your mother knows that you followed through with the event.

Best of luck with the second relay; what an excellent cause.

WAHM said...

I'm touched by what you are doing... it reminds me that we don't live for ourselves and that we are placed here on earth for a great purpose - to serve others and to touch lives.